PDAs suck even worse than computers, which suck pretty badly. The idea
of having to manage my remote control, put it on a charging cradle
when it's not in use, or wait for it to reload a web page fills me
with shuddering horror.

I've monkeyed around with the various options on an ipaq 4150 that I
have, trying to find some way to make the little PoS useful, but
instead it continues to gather dust on top of the bookshelf.
SlimRemote, TelCanto, Handheld skin, Nokia 770 skin, all of them made
me want to throw the little device away as soon as the "oh, that's
kind of nifty" feeling of getting it to work was gone.

The Squeezebox comes with a delightfully functional little remote that
is interchangeable throughout the house. For night stand use, I'd
upgrade to the lighted button remote. If you'd like something with
lots more buttons for controlling more things, the Harmony line seems
to make sense, though in my opinion the whole concept of a universal
remote is deeply flawed.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional