KeithL;166337 Wrote:
> The ripping is in AIFF at 48000, 16 bit. I don't seem to be able to
> control the speed of the cdrom drive reading the disc. This varies from
> 4 x up to 30 x.
> Keith

It SHOULD be at a sample rate of 44.1kHz, not 48kHz!!  Also, the reason
the speed varies is because of the disc actually changing speed as it
goes.  The 'inside' of the disc spins much faster than the 'outside' of
the disc for the same amount of throughput.

As someone has already mentioned, AIFF is a RAW file format and not
lossless in the same way as ALAC or FLAC are.  You will save some HD
space by using ALAC, especially if you're using iTunes to rip.  My
biggest problem with FLAC, at least as a Mac user, is it's not as easy
to edit the TAG information.  That's pretty simple in iTunes if you
stick with ALAC.

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego