Apologies if this subject has been chewed over in the past. I have
looked around in the forums here but see mostly micro detail rather
than the big picture.

I am looking to move to PC-based audio and have been researching how
best to do this. The Slim Devices Transporter seems to be a great
product in many ways. For example, the absolute level of audio quality
is important for me and the Transporter has reviewed very well in this
respect. The device also offers great connectivity along with fine
aesthetics which, compared to some of the other PC-based audio products
around, is a real plus for those who care about their living room
environment.

But now to my question: For a $2000 device, are Slim Devices serious
about the user interface?

I have spent time downloading Slim Server software and have tried it
out briefly with SoftSqueeze to see how it works. IMHO it seems more
like something produced by an enthusiastic hobbyist rather than a
leading exponent of cutting edge audiophile technology. To me, it is
extremely clunky, slow and visually challenged to say the least. The
fact that so many Slim fans have invested such amazing energy into
developing plugins/addons/skins, etc, to address this deficit is
testimony to this.

I have also looked at the Sonos approach along with other media s/w
offerings (e.g. iTunes, JRiver) and I am simply amazed at the
differences. Having put such thought into the look and feel of the
hardware and endowed the Transporter with so many outstanding features,
it seems a real shame that the product is let down by such a primitive
UI. This has unfortunately put my purchase decision in doubt.

Does this ring a bell with anybody else? Perhaps I am missing
something?

--
clarkc