You have two buttons: track analysis and track gain.

Track analysis merely writes the RG tags.  So you need an RG-aware
program like SlimServer to use the volume levelling function.  Nothing
will happen in iTunes/iPod, it's not RG-aware AFAIK.

Track -gain- will not only write the RG tags, it will also -alter the
audio-, which means it can be used with non-RG-aware programs/players.
If you play these files back in SS, you'll get levelled playback without
using RG.  If you use RG, you'll get a "double levelling", don't do
this.

If this contradicts one of my earlier posts in this thread I'll correct
that earlier post.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal