yeah, mp3tag also doesn't seem to natively support "albumartist"

the weird thing is the newest winamp IS supposed to support replaygain,
but i don't see it in winamp either.

i use both 1.1 and 2.3 id tags for my mp3s.

i downloaded ur suggestion, LameTagGUI and tried it out...

its petty sweet, if what it says is true.

here are the results for one of my AC-DC files:

> >lametag.exe "AC-DC - 01 - It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock
> 'N' Roll).mp3"
>
> LameTag - Reads the LAME tag from an mp3 file
> Copyright (c) 2005 phwip
> Release 0.4.1, compiled 2005-09-09
>
> D:\mp3home\AC-DC\High Voltage [ReMaster]\AC-DC - 01 - It's A Long Way
> To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll).mp3
> Tag revision:       0
> Encoder string:     LAME
> Version string:     3.96r
> Quality:            59 (V4 and q1)
> Encoding method:    cbr
> Lowpass:            20,500Hz
> RG track peak:      <not stored>
> RG track gain:      -10.8dB (determined automatically)
> RG album gain:      <not stored>
> nspsytune:          yes
> nssafejoint:        yes
> nogap continued:    no
> nogap continuation: no
> ATH type:           4
> Bitrate:            255 or higher
> Encoder delay:      576 samples
> Padded at end:      1,284 samples
> Noise shaping:      1
> Stereo mode:        joint
> Unwise settings:    no
> Source sample freq: 44.1kHz
> MP3Gain change:     <none>
> Preset:             cbr 256
> Surround info:      none
> Music length:       9,667,395 bytes
> Music CRC:          B989
> Actual Music CRC:   B989
> Info tag CRC:       4AC3
> Actual InfoTag CRC: 4AC3

here is another AC DC tag:

> >lametag.exe "AC-DC - 01 - Hells Bells.mp3"
>
> LameTag - Reads the LAME tag from an mp3 file
> Copyright (c) 2005 phwip
> Release 0.4.1, compiled 2005-09-09
>
> D:\mp3home\AC-DC\Back In Black [ReMaster]\AC-DC - 01 - Hells Bells.mp3
> LAME tag not found.

what confuses me is that does have a lame tag.

why doesn't it see it?

also, the first file does list a replaygain value...

BUT how do i know SS is actually using it on playback?

i do have SS configured to "smart gain" but how do i verify it see's a
value (or not) for any given file?

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.2 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram