Mark Lanctot;183756 Wrote:
> Yup, it's not there.  Here's an example of one it can see, although it's
> FLAC:

did u do what jeffmeh said, and use foobar or mp3gain to put it in
there?

wouldn't it be nice if EAC simply copied the LAME tag value to the ID3
tag at the time of encoding?

how did you do yours?  did u just add a value in a tag, or did u change
the audio file itself?

Mark Lanctot;183756 Wrote:
> As others have said, the LAME RG tag is non-standard so SS doesn't see
> it, along with almost every other player out there.  It'd be nice if it
> could (one less step in encoding), but SS is far from alone in not
> supporting it.

is this the kind of thing someone could write a plugin for?  or is that
not possible if the scanner won't look for that information on library
scans?

Mark Lanctot;183756 Wrote:
> Also LAME does not seem to have much control over how it writes RG
> values - they seem to be placed there automatically whether you want it
> to or not, so I'd rather not rely on it.
>
> SS can see RG tags written with MP3Gain and foobar.

which are in an ID3 tag i take it...

as to how lame writes RG tags, i did find this info about the
switches:

> [...]
> the peak sample
> Enable decoding on the fly. Compute "Radio" ReplayGain on the decoded
> data stream. Find the peak sample of the decoded data stream and store
> it in the file.
>
> ReplayGain analysis does not affect the content of a compressed data
> stream itself, it is a value stored in the header of a sound file.
> Information on the purpose of ReplayGain and the algorithms used is
> available from http://www.replaygain.org/
>
> By default, LAME performs ReplayGain analysis on the input data (after
> the user-specified volume scaling). This behavior might give slightly
> inaccurate results because the data on the output of a lossy
> compression/decompression sequence differs from the initial input data.
> When --replaygain-accurate is specified the mp3 stream gets decoded on
> the fly and the analysis is performed on the decoded data stream.
> Although theoretically this method gives more accurate results, it has
> several disadvantages:
> tests have shown that the difference between the ReplayGain values
> computed on the input data and decoded data is usually no greater than
> 0.5dB, although the minimum volume difference the human ear can
> perceive is about 1.0dB
> decoding on the fly significantly slows down the encoding process
> The apparent advantage is that:
> with --replaygain-accurate the peak sample is determined and stored in
> the file. The knowledge of the peak sample can be useful to decoders
> (players) to prevent a negative effect called 'clipping' that
> introduces distortion into sound.
>
> Only the "RadioGain" ReplayGain value is computed. It is stored in the
> LAME tag. The analysis is performed with the reference volume equal to
> 89dB. Note: the reference volume has been changed from 83dB on
> transition from version 3.95 to 3.95.1.
>
> This option is not usable if the MP3 decoder was explicitly disabled in
> the build of LAME. (Note: if LAME is compiled without the MP3 decoder,
> ReplayGain analysis is performed on the input data after user-specified
> volume scaling).
>
> See also: --replaygain-fast, --noreplaygain, --clipdetect

> * --replaygain-fast    compute ReplayGain fast but slightly
> inaccurately (default)
> Compute "Radio" ReplayGain on the input data stream after
> user-specified volume scaling and/or resampling.
>
> ReplayGain analysis does not affect the content of a compressed data
> stream itself, it is a value stored in the header of a sound file.
> Information on the purpose of ReplayGain and the algorithms used is
> available from http://www.replaygain.org/
>
> Only the "RadioGain" ReplayGain value is computed. It is stored in the
> LAME tag. The analysis is performed with the reference volume equal to
> 89dB. Note: the reference volume has been changed from 83dB on
> transition from version 3.95 to 3.95.1.
>
> This switch is enabled by default.
>
> See also: --replaygain-accurate, --noreplaygain

and

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.2 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram