>I know this must have been asked before but I was wondering what the
>prercentage is of Windows vs Linux as the OS of choice for running SS.
>
>I am going to take the plunge into the world of Linux soon so I was
>just being curious.

I primarily run OS X and Slimserver has been trouble free from the
underlying OS standpoint going back to the days when SLIMP3 was their
only product.

I prefer the Linux/unix/BSD based operating systems to Windows
because the licensing agreements are not as onerous and I think they
are more approachable in the sense that they can be tinkered with and
debugged in a more consistent and straightforward manner.  The
default configurations, while not invulnerable, tend to have less
exposure to outside attacks (particularly OpenBSD).

I like OS X because I think it has the best GUI on top of a unix
base.  I like the Intel Apple hardware because you can run OS X,
Linux, *BSDs, and Windows on it all at native speeds.  I'm very
interested in seeing the final VMWare virtualization product and
comparing that to Parallels and being able to run multiple virtual
machines on one set of hardware.

My experience running a variety of OSes (Windows, unix/linux/BSD, OS
X) is that Windows is the most problematic, but with the important
caveat that you'll almost always do best with the OS that you know
best.

If you're just looking to jump in to Linux you can get good
performance (including from Slimserver) from hardware that would not
give good performance with XP or Vista, so you can experiment with it
on an old system and keep your main system running (I infer from your
post) Windows.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard