Quoting Paul_B ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> I have all my music CD's ripped to NAS storage as FLAC and this all
> works beautifully with Squeezecenter and my SB3.
>
> However, some times I would like to listen to the same music on a
> portable device. Currently I have an original 2GB Nano but I am
> thinking of getting a new device.
>
> 1. Should I get a new iPod? If so which one, Touch, Classic?
>
> 2. Should I get a non-iPod device (Zune Gen 2, Archos, Zen, Cowon,
> etc); I assume I will still need to transcode from FLAC to Mp3?

I use MediaMonkey to transcode to mp3 to my iPhone and formerly to
my ipod.  Works fine.  There are also alternate firmwares you can
load for older ipods that will allow them to store and play flac,
but this is overkill probably.  No such firmware exists yet to my
knowledge for the newer iPods (classic, touch, iphone).

You can also look into mp3fuse if are a linux person and/or have a
technical bent.  Both of these allow mp3s to be loaded to portable
devices from flac sources without requiring 2 trees.