interspectrum;243702 Wrote:
> The portable slimp3 idea is what I am after, but less 1980's! I'm not
> planning to break dance in my parachute pants!
>
> I don't see why something like this would be difficult. To save cost
> they could drop the digital outputs, or all outputs for that matter
> since this would not be a replacement for a full squeezebox. Also
> dropping the Burr/Brown DSPs should save some money as well.
>
> I know some of our audio purists will hate this but a portable is never
> going to sound as good as powered speakers because it will have to have
> the cost of speakers plus the cost of the squeezebox hardware. Some
> compromises have to be made to make this thing affordable.
The biggest cost of an SB is the VFD display, so if you want to push
the cost down you'll need to do something about that.

If you perceive a lack of enthusiasm for your suggest, please don't
attribute it all to audio purists. It's just that this topic comes up
all the time on the forums -- do a search for "squeeze boombox" and
you'll find a lot, including some pretty good DIY projects. Now with
the Jive remote on the horizon (one hopes) the possibilities multiply.

--
aubuti