On 09/01/2008, Phil Leigh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd appreciate some advice. I'm thinking again about a universal remote.
> I use a Linn 5101 that can handle everything except my Sky box - which
> is tedious. I used to have a monochrome Madrigal which was OK...ish.

Personally, I wanted something with buttons that I can feel my around
without having to look at it.

That's why I went for one of these:

http://universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38

It controls my Linn gear and Sky ok. I haven't found anything it won't
control but then I don't have a huge amount of gear. I did find Linn
used a toggle bit on the volume of my Kolektor which meant I had to
have the volume increase and decrease in steps of two. The Kairn and
Majik (old version) were both fine though.

The software is easy to use and it can read pronto files if there are
any codes that are difficult to learn or you don't have the original
remote.

The only problem I've had with the squeezeboxes is the brightness
button as the push and hold doesn't update the firmware. I still use
the original remotes for this.

Richard