Thanks BPA for your insight. I was afraid it was going to be something
pretty technical. I am using a Thinkpad Z60t as the server and it is
optimized for media. Although I don't know that much about laptop sound
cards this is a high definition (Analog Devices, SoundMAX Integrated
Digital HD Audio) card. This probably means it does sample at a higher
rate.
This is what I got off of the Analog Devices website for spec.'s
Professional 20-bit DACs with 100dB SNR*
Up to 48kHz sampling rate
Microsoft® DirectSound™
Dolby Digital pass-through
5.1 playback over two speakers via Virtual Theater Surround™ or over 6
speakers via systems with the AD1980 CODEC (DVD software must support
5.1 decoding)

--
vrasenas