radish;266185 Wrote:
> In my experience going directly to the manufacturer is almost never the
> cheapest way to buy something - SD has historically been unusual and
> it's largely been because they were the main distribution point.

Indeed. The manufacturer won't sell for less than the recommended
retail price, precisely because it cannot undercut its distributors (or
it soon won't have any). However, there is nothing to stop a distributor
accepting a smaller margin on a sale by selling below the RRP.

Note that this means that if the manufacturer and the distributor sell
for the same price, the manufacturer will make a bigger profit if you
buy from them rather than from the distributor...

--
Khuli

http://www.last.fm/user/khuli