DanH: sounds like a very plausible explanation to me. i am pretty sure i
didnt have this problem in the beginning, either.

Phil: hmmm... i am not sure if that will yield results that are
different from simply using regular mp3 files i already have. besides,
i wouldnt even know which vorbis files to convert, since i have no
conclusive evidence which specific ones are causing this.

new experimental results:

-> playing a purely vorbis playlist *will* cause the stops to occur.
sometimes as early as after the 10th song, sometimes as late as after
the 40th. re-starting the same playlist from the start never has
reproduced the stops at the same position, they occur at seemingly
random tracks and positions.

-> the stop is *always* preceeded by a sudden jump or skip one or two
tracks ahead in the "now playing" display. slimserver's web-interface
skips ahead too!

-> a purely mp3 playlist has been playing for some hours now with no
stop.

-> i tried playing purely vorbis UN-synched on one player last night,
to see if the problem is connected to the synch function or not.
unfortunately, the SB stopped after 11 tracks sometime in the night.
:-(

the summary so far:
1. it seems only vorbis files decoded natively will cause the stops.
2. the "now playing" display *always" jumps/skips one or two tracks
ahead and freezes the progress bar. this applies to the web-interface
and the SBs VFD. this happens when natively playing vorbis as well as
transcoding to flac.
3. even though it also occurs when un-synched, it does not seem as
often.
4. transcoding vorbis to flac/mp3 will not crash the SB anymore, but
will still cause the "now playing" display to corrupt and has caused an
utter and total slimserver crash.
5. playing native mp3 or flac does not seem to cause problems.

my newest hypothesis: there is something wrong with the ogg container
file handling on the slimserver, since eliminating the SB as a problem
source through transcoding did not solve the problem. since the "now
playing" display is controlled by slimserver, its corruption also
points in that direction. the SB's DSP+DAC crashing may only be a
symptom, not the root cause.

i guess there is only one more thing for me to do: try SC7... :-(

--
dcote