hi phil, hi mark!

i have various different vorbis encoders in my library: xiph libvorbis
0.x + 1.x, aotuvb4+5, and gtune3b1+2. just as i have mp3s from various
encoders, as well. none of them cause problems on any other playback
device, be it software on PC or embedded such as an iriver mp3 player
with iriver or rockbox firmware or even my networked DVD player.

gentlemen, while i understand the general principle of only supporting
the "official" libvorbis codec, that is not very realistic. after all,
slimdevices does support LAME and other "non-standard" mp3 codecs too,
right? by that reasoning, we should stop supporting any LAME-encoded
mp3 and revert to fraunhofer / thomson encoded mp3 only. ;-)

to eliminate a potential source of trouble (the vorbis decoder in the
SB), i have followed marks suggestion of transcoding to flac. but
problems still persist:
-> SB display corrupts after a short time: it is out of synch with what
is actually playing track and the progress indicator freezes.
re-starting playback will fix that for another 10-20 tracks or so, then
it happens again. at least, the SB does not "zombie" on me anymore.
-> i left the SBs playing over night, just to see what happens.
actually, slimserver utterly crashed. so badly, that i had to reboot my
server. the SBs were fine, tho...

in regards to ogg file integrity:
-> all offical xiph tools can decode the files with no problem and
other players dont report problems, either. not a single tool has
reported a problem with any of my oggs yet, ever.
-> when i replay a file which supposedly caused the crash, or even an
entire playlist, it works just fine. there is no indication whatsoever
that a specific file or part of a file is causing this. a corrupt file
should cause the crash at the same spot every time, shouldnt it?

so far, i think i have to revise my hypothesis:
-> slimserver is having trouble with something in my music repository.
this can cause it to send junk to my SBs, which may crash the DSP/DAC.
it seems to have something to do with vorbis files, because transcoding
them changes the symptoms markedly, but does not make the problem go
away.

my next steps:
-> i will test homogeneous playlists of mp3 or vorbis to see what
happens.
-> then i will try SC 7 beta.

thanks for your thoughts on this guys, it is driving me nuts. i really
appreciate your help!

--
dcote