I am interested in either the A2 or the A5 and I took the opportunity to
listen to them in a shop today.

The A2 speakers are tiny, no bigger than most computer speakers.  BUT -
I didn't find they sounded particularly bad compared to the A5.  They
sounded a little "boxy" and constrained compared to the A5, but not
bad.  Certainly loud enough, certainly enough bass - I found they were
bassier than the A5.  You definitely don't need a sub with these
things.

Now of course the A5 sounds "effortless".  I did find their input level
trip point a little high, I had to really crank the input volume to get
them to turn on.  This would mean the Squeezebox alarm fade-in wouldn't
work, it would only kick in when the volume reached near maximum so it
would start late.

On the other hand, there was a bunch of stuff on the A5 that I'd be
paying for but couldn't use - USB charging jack, secondary inputs, 120
VAC power outlet.  And that bright blue LED would be distracting in a
dark bedroom.

I found the A2 finish better than the A5, a glossy piano black, very
smooth, much like the SB3 black plastic and the remote plastic.  The
A5s looked cheaper actually, a matte plastic, some fit and finish
blemishes and not the nice finish the A2 comes in.

The back panels on each are very impressive, quite solid and with a
considerable amount of connection options.  The two speakers are
connected together with conventional speaker wire, meaning you could
use a custom length.  The A2 has a metal volume knob on the back, the
A5 a plastic volume knob on the front which feels cheap.

Obviously I'm leaning towards the A2.  I could be very happy with that
sound actually.  The A5 sounded better - but with a couple of caveats.

I may not be able to justify the price difference between the A2 and
the A5.

--
Mark Lanctot

Ben Klass: "I won't even eat a pre-7.0 meal.  Well, unless it involves
bacon."

SB2, Transporter, beta SBR, beta SBC, pre-production SBC