Wow - thanks for all the helpful replies.

Thoughts as follows;

1) I've just spent hours removing track numbers from track titles (doh
!) apart from classical items such as symphony movements.
2) Understand that if browsing by music folder then SS will default to
alphabetical.
3) I'm busy adding replay gain to my music using Foobar - a lengthy
process ! See now that reductions of 7db and more are not uncommon.
Is there a way of incorporating replay gain when ripping vinyl using
Audacity ?
4) Quite understand the loudness war issue - amazing how much better
many of my older recordings sound. Is there any sort of database that
can recommend (or otherwise) good recordings. I know there is a
movement called "Turn It Up" which aim to label recordings that don't
make the loudness war worse but can't see they have actually produced
anything yet. Similar question to try and identify DVDs with PCM tracks
(never seems to be much info on the covers).
5) Now I understand gapless (but a bit late !). Unfortunately I've
applied Fade in and Fade out (using Audacity) to beginning and ending
of tracks - typically on live albums where the audience is the filler
between tracks.
6) As to the info on current track - yes the screensaver option will
work, but then I need to go back to Now Playing / Browse/ Music Folder
. . .  to choose another track (as opposed just back up a level to the
album). Just wanted SS to keep the current track info when the track is
selected - but now realise that this is a developer choice between
browsing in the background as opposed to current track info.

Thaks again for all the help - I just love these forums. Now I just
want to find sources of high res, reasonably uncompressed audio . . . .
(don't we all).

--
liffy99