Jac;315580 Wrote:
> > Correct. In the case of the MP3 files it has to analyze 6000 tracks
> > before displaying the list.
>
> I thought that this was done only once, which is when I scanned the
> library.  there must be a more efficient way to list the 6000 files
> without it taking 30 seconds.  Furthermore it only displays 50 at a
> time on squeezecenter

SqueezeCenter always looks to see whether any of the files have
changed, so it checks the modified time of every file in the folder
against what it has stored in the database for that file.  (Whether or
not this is a good idea has been debated in the past).  Needless to
say, with 6000 files, this will take a little while.

The 50 per page thing is an option under Settings > Interface, > Items
Per Page.  Unfortunately, it's a one-size-fits-all setting and applies
to everything shown on a web page - albums, genres, years, artsts,
tracks...

> Actually my FLACS are well structured.

If you have one folder per album under the root music folder, then
you're probably going to end up with a lot of subfolders in that one
folder.  Most people use an organization of

(root)/Artist/Album

> Then how would one organize 6000 various titles.  I figured that having
> them in one flat folder and list by filename (artist-title.mp3) was a
> way to to it, but seems that by design Squeezebox will not do it
> efficiently

Browsing Music Folder is almost always slower than browsing by Artist,
Album, etc.  The number of files in that folder will make it especially
so.  You might try organizing them by letter, although you'll still have
some pretty large folders.

(root)/Singles/A
(root)/Singles/B
(root)/Singles/C

You could also just use the /Artist/Album approach above and create an
album for each artist called something like "Single Tracks".

--
JJZolx

Jim