On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
On 03/07/2017 09:06 AM, Tufts wrote:
 It will be interesting to see how this works out.

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------

 From: Tom Smith <odl-giv...@mit.edu>
 Subject: Save the Date for The MIT 24-hour Challenge
 Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:21:36 -0500
 To: stephen.mic...@tufts.edu

 Save the Date for The MIT 24-hour Challenge
 MIT's 24-hour Challenge on Pi Day!

 View this email in your browser
<http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=0a536e529b&e=7149e9efdc>

<http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=5e5d5f0e12&e=7149e9efdc>

 Dear ,

We are excited to participate in the first MIT 24-hour Challenge! The
 goal is to encourage 1,500 people to donate
<http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=6a40317dd7&e=7149e9efdc>
 – at any amount – on one day, March 14th (Pi Day).

 If we reach this goal then MIT will receive a $150,000 gift from a
 generous donor.

 The clock starts at 12AM on March 14 and will run until 11:59PM EST.

 In the meantime, please consider becoming a campaign ambassador
<http://edx.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad81d725159c1f322a0c54837&id=aeb22369dd&e=7149e9efdc>
 and help us raise awareness about the challenge. We look forward to
keeping you posted on the giving day and we hope you'll consider helping
 us reach our goal.

 Sincerely,
 Tom Smith

As I've said generally, this sort of matching is good (way better than
no matching), but there's no risk reduction (all donations go ahead no
matter what), and the threshold means I, as an individual can say "I
like this, but too busy too worry about it, I hope others will hit the
threshold. But it's a good campaign as campaigns go anyway.

It does do one thing differently than other matching campaigns, which is that the amount of each person's donation doesn't matter; it only matters that 1500 people donate. It is a similar to snowdrift in that it tries to reduce barriers to donation.

We do that better because your donation also incentivizes others to donate, whereas here your donation is still unilateral. And theirs is also a hard cutoff instead of scaling.

It will still be interesting to see what happens. Perhaps some interesting conclusions about how much participation this gets compared to standard matches.