I'd like to +1 Matt's comment as well -- given how many workshops we run, and how much demand there is for instructor training, I think it makes sense to say that people ought to attend or help at a workshop before starting instructor training. ("Ought to" because there will always be exceptions: some people have lots of teaching experience in other grassroots groups, and when we're moving into new geographical regions, it won't always be possible for people to attend one before starting training.)

Thanks,
Greg

On 2014-12-12 3:41 PM, Ted Hart wrote:

I'll also +1 Matt's comment. Way back in 2012 I attended my first SWC workshop hosted by the CS dept at UBC, taught by Greg. I then helped organize a couple more where I co-taught with Greg and Ethan at different workshops. I had this experience under my belt before I began instructor training, I think one of the first that Greg ran online.

It seems like path to becoming an instructor is a bit different now, starting off with instructor training, and then running a workshop. Less of the 'journeyman' system of a few years back. And while sending helpers around isn't feasible because of $$, what about requiring interested people to organize a workshop and they could help, if one isn't already being run locally? After all, it was that effect of getting one or two instructors out of each locally run workshops that helped us get so many instructors in the first place.

Maybe it's not a good idea to take on instructors if they haven't at least attended a workshop (I'm not sure how common this is though)