I wonder if it is helpful in effect to reverse the polarity of the
identification, to say:

Programmers spend their time getting complex systems to play nicely,
which is a process of repeatedly getting stuck, then making some
progress, then getting stuck again. If you have felt stuck or
bewildered at any point this morning, you were at that very moment
programming. You are a programmer because you have already done what
professional programmers do. Of course, we all try to work efficiently
and make progress. You don't drive a Jeep for the purpose of breaking
down in the back country, but we all recognize that the occasional
breakdown is part of the journey. When you are sitting next to your
Jeep and the big rock that broke its axle, you're not some phony
armchair traveller in your living room. Even if its your first trip,
you are a traveller. You are in the back country, with bugs and mud
and, hopefully, beauty and accomplishment. When the message from the
installer makes no sense at all, you're not a fraud. You are
programming. So get help or make do, but don't feel like an impostor
or a failure. You are a programmer doing your work, and you deserve
respect for that -- especially from yourself.