I think this thread is diverging from the important original topic: how to
solve the problem of beginners in an intermediate class, or more broadly, the
disparity between experience levels in any given class.

Regarding that subject, I think people are so desperate for training that it
would be hard to convince them *not* to sign up for an upcoming workshop even
if it is not a perfect fit. If there is no fixed date for the hypothetical
future workshop, they would not want to wait. So scheduling them in pairs at
high-demand locations could help slot students where they properly belong.

-Steve