From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.software-carpentry.org] On Behalf
Of Neil Chue Hong (SSI)
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:07 PM
To: Davide Del Vento <davide.del.ve...@gmail.com>; Maneesha Sane
<manee...@software-carpentry.org>
Cc: Software Carpentry Discussion <discuss@lists.software-carpentry.org>
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Outreach misconception about Data and Software Carpentry
as piece of software instead of skills

I've seen some similar misconceptions, in all cases because someone not
directly from the "carpentry community" has tried to explain SWC/DC to someone
else (which I've then overheard).

These included:
- Software Carpentry is very expensive, costing thousands of dollars
- Software Carpentry only teaches in Python
- Software Carpentry is trying to turn everyone into software engineers
- Software Carpentry is only for developers (I guess this is a matter of
interpretation)
- Software Carpentry hasn't been updated recently (this was in relation to the
person thinking it was online lessons only)

So nothing particularly problematic, but perhaps we should think about ensuring
our mission and vision are broadcast as clearly as possible.

Cheers
Neil
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 at 18:41, Davide Del Vento