I wrote a blog post [1] a while back to give people because I wanted to
give them instructions for installation and how to go through the swc/dc
material.
I wholeheartedly agree, the lessons are great starting places to lean a new
topic.
I've constantly referenced them when I have to write a new MAKEFILE.  I
mostly worry about people who do not have the opportunity to attend a
workshop and getting started on the lessons on their own.  I have no data
on this (or any idea what the data would look like).

Do your graduate students get stuck on getting things installed?
One concern of mine are people who want to learn X don't actually do it
because they can't even get X installed/working...
Other than saving a snapshot of a workshop template to get installation
instructions,
would moving installation instructions to the lessons be a good idea?

[1]
http://chendaniely.github.io/tutorials/2015/05/05/getting-started-with-data-science/

- Dan