Jonah and all,

I've seen two presentations of the R workshop, both at Software Carpentry
workshops.  They were a couple of years apart.  Neither finished the
material in the SWC lesson.  Both were quite different from each other.  I
doubt that if an attendee from one described the workshop to an attendee
from the other that it would be recognizable.  Further, I note that the R
for Reproducible Scientific Analysis lesson may differ less from the Data
Carpentry R lesson than it does from the R Inflammation lesson.

Perhaps one avenue of discussion might be to pare down from the current
lesson(s) and define what constitutes the core concepts and competencies
that any language lesson _must_ cover during its actual offering to be
considered for inclusion in 'Software Carpentry'?  That would then make
_how_ those concepts and competencies open to lesson planners, maintainers,
and to the judgement of the community.  I think that might become
increasingly important.

While I understand that there is a strong desire to keep the discussion on
this list focused on things that are truly and genuinely of general
interest, I suggest that it might be premature to shunt what constitutes a
legitimate lesson for SWC into an issue just yet.  What makes a lesson
legitimate seems to me to be of pretty central interest and importance, and
I think that removing it from general and public discussion so early is not
in the best interest of the community.

I urge you to encourage at least a bit more discussion here, so that
someone reading this later -- and possibly much later -- will be able to
get a general enough sense of the range of opinions to properly judge
whether to go to the issue or not.

I am sure it is not your intention to stop discussion, but I think this
issue is important enough to remain on the main list for at least a little
while longer.  I have had my say, and I will add anything further to the
issue.

I hope that in stating my opinions here I have not violated any community
norms or offended anyone, and I apologize now if I have done so.  That is
not my intent.