Daniel Kasak a écrit :

> The original poster already admitted that he's using Thunderbird. I use
> Thunderbird.

Thunderbird can not replace outlook and right now there is no open
source solution that can replace outlook. Sunbird and Chandler are at
very early stage and it will probably takes at least a year before they
are stable enough and can do calendar sharing and Palm sync (and I guess
2 years is more realistic). There's also the windows port of evolution,
but here again it's not done yet.

I'm a computer consultant and I try to push OpenOffice as hard as I can.
But right now, the only thing I can do is raise awareness and install
OpenOffice just in case one of my client receive an OpenOffice document.

I had one of them who was willing to switch to OpenOffice. They didn't
have too much money and they were willing to put up with OpenOffice's
Word, Excel and PowerPoint import/export filter (thanks to MS Viewers).
They were also willing to buy Antidote licence (a french grammar checker
that integrate with OpenOffice). But in the end, I had to forget about
this project because of outlook. The director had a Palm and he wanted
calendar sharing. This meant that They had to buy Outlook. And since an
Outlook licence cost about as much as an OEM licence of MS Office, this
meant that they had to buy MS Office... So why the trouble of switching
to OpenOffice ? How the cost of switching to OpenOffice could be
justified ? (and believe me, in the real world, the cost of switching to
OpenOffice is VERY high)

The situation is simple : as long as there is no alternative to Outlook,
OpenOffice is not interesting for even a small business. And since
people don't like to use two different programs, they will use at home
what they use at the office. This mean people will continue to pirate MS
Office and everyone will forget about OpenOffice.