In news:4d7a11a2.8020...@comporium.net,
David B Teague sr <davidbtea...@comporium.net> typed:
: On 3/9/2011 2:34 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:
: Registering has never required an account or password. Are
: you sure you are using a "genuine" version of
: OpenOffice.org downloaded from www.openoffice.org ?
: Harold, I have been working on computers since 1978. I have
: been doing networking for about half that time. I know to
: check for "genuine" versions of the software.
:
: I fetched the installer from www.openoffice.org, and
: installed it. During the installation is said something
: about registering, so I put it off. I went to
: HELP > Register
: This took me to Oracle's web site (YES I CHECKED) and I HAD
: TO CREATE AND ACCOUNT TO REGISTER. And yes, this has NEVER
: happened before. At least not when SUN had it. There have
: been several changes since Oracle acquired SUN, Java, and
: OO.o.
:
: That the requirement for registration and account creation
: has not happened to you does not mean it didn't happen to
: me.  If you don't believe me, try to register your copy of
: OO.o.
:
: Now will someone please address the question of what
: benefit there is to the community to registering? Is it
: sufficient  to fight the difficulty of navigating that damn
: web site?

I haven't registered OO.o for several years now, mostly because the "old"
system kept losing me and making me re-register. I did it a couple times and
then quit.

The only benefit of registering, as I understand it, is to let SUN (now
Oracle) know the location where the software is being used for their
counters. Technically, NO, you do not have to register.
   I've currently switched to LibreOffice.org and haven't registered there,
but might if I can remember to, when they get everything working on the new
Libre site. As you may or may not know, Libre Office is a fork from OO.o
because it appears Oracle may not allow it to remain free or even available
and will not discuss it; I've tried contacting them directly. So I switched
to Libre. I know Libre 3.0 and OO 3.0 are the same code; the current rev
IIRC is 3.3.1 for Libre and does have some bugs, depending on what you do
with it. So if it's important to you, you might not want to switch to Libre
unless/until Oracle does something "bad" with OO.o. Give LibreO a chance to
get its head motr around things. Some stuff that used to work has quit
working. They DO have a bug list somewhere; I can't find it right now but
I'm short on time.

Please post in Text mode; HTML mode shows all the stupid HTML code and makes
reading your post fairly difficult to impossible, depending on what client
is trying to read it.

HTH,

Twayne`