> One of the major obstacles is the "Mr Grumpy" critique. Not so
> much "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but rather "it's broke,
> but I don't want you to fix it because I want to keep my broken
> one". These people will never change their tools, but maybe their
> tools will change. Many innovations in source code manipulation
> have appeared first in Emacs, and I think we should turn to Emacs
> as the most practical research venue. Sadly, it seems we have an
> immediate obstacle in the font support built in to Emacs. I
> recently wasted a very unhappy day trying to configure Emacs to
> change font reliably, and I'm fairly convinced that the font
> management is very broken, perhaps needing reimplementing from
> scratch. Would it be worth the effort of fixing this as a first
> step toward a non-VT100 program editor?

Well, as the Mr Grumpy, I wouldn't want you to start with Emacs which is
horrid and has too much baggage with it (IMHO of course). Ther emust be
some other programmers' editor out there. How about the editor tool that
comes with KDE or Gnome or one of those? Thinking about it, if you
wanted to do some experiments with an emacs like interface, it would be
easy to knock one up in tcl/tk as the standard text widget coems with
lots of emacs bindings already set up. Setting type styles is also a
doddle so playing with different configurations becomes easy. I'm quite
happy to set this up if people have ideas they want try out. (No flames
about tcl - it's a tool and it does the job well)

L.