Hi,

Before everyone rushes off and reads Ludwig Fleck, Thomas Kuhn etc., it
might be better to start with something like Boehm and Turner's book
"Balancing Agility and Discipline" [1].   It contains a risk based model for
choosing (and balancing) between agile and plan driven methods.  Like most
work from Boehm, its well worth a read.

Returning to Ruven's original story about development problems around a
framework, I think the book "Extreme Programming in Action" by Lippert,
Roock and Wolf [2] is relevant.  In this book they draw attention to the way
XP has been appropriated for types of development it was never designed for
- (1) the development of application frameworks, (2) the development of
eBusiness applications, (3) software product development, and (4)
outsourcing.  They also discuss some of the common work-arounds employed by
companies who have appropriated XP for these.  I'm not sure how this
generalises to Scrum etc.

For anyone interested in Kuhn, I'd suggest reading Sharrock and Read's [3]
discussion of his work.  It will help in avoiding some common
misinterpretations of Kuhn - particularly the over emphasis put on paradigms
and paradigm shifts (As we can see in this discussion, people tend to see
just about anything as a paradigm).

[1] Boehm, B., and Turner, R. 2004. Balancing Agility and Discipline  Addison
Wesley, Boston.

[2] Lippert, M., Roock, S., and Wolf, H. 2002. Extreme Programming in
Action.  Practical Examples from Real World Projects  John Wiley and Sons,
New York.

[3] Sharrock, W., Read, R. 2002. Kuhn: Philosopher of Scientific
Revolution.  Polity, Cambridge.

I hope these suggestions are of interest.
Regards, John.