Hi Matthew,

> None of this is code we are writing, its all internal to
> Restlet, all we are doing is calling
> EncodeRepresentation.getText() and that method call causes
> all the other stuff to happen. I can't see how our code has
> any impact on the closing of the stream and shutting down of
> the thread.

OK.

> It also appears that this is not a problem under linux, we
> will test under windows, but it may be its a Mac specific thing.

Which HTTP server connector are you using? Have you tried another connector?

> In terms of end to end functionality, our use of GZip
> encoding works fine and the encoded representations make it
> from client to server OK, so the concern is simply that there
> end up being hundreds of these "dead corpse" threads left
> over as our software runs for longer.

As suggested by Tim, I have added an explicit call to setDaemon(false) in
the ByteUtils class, before starting the IO threads. I hope that this can
workaround the issue.

Could anyone test? This has been checked in SVN trunk and 1.0 branch.

Best regards,
Jerome