Tim Peierls wrote:
On 10/17/07, *Jerome Louvel* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

        In terms of end to end functionality, our use of GZip encoding
        works fine and the encoded representations make it from client
        to server OK, so the concern is simply that there end up being
        hundreds of these "dead corpse" threads left over as our
        software runs for longer.

    As suggested by Tim, I have added an explicit call to
    setDaemon(false) in the ByteUtils class, before starting the IO
    threads. I hope that this can workaround the issue.

I think it's good practice to setDaemon(false) as you've done -- though I still would like to know *why* the threads in Matthew's example have daemon status -- but I don't think it will solve Matthew's problem, which is that large numbers of permanently blocked threads are accumulating over long server runs. (The only difference between daemon threads and user threads is that the former don't prevent a JVM from exiting.)

I would agree with Tim here. I don't think that this is going to resolve the issue.

cheers
</jima>