Thx. Mark, I appreciate your response. Looking at a REST response from a vendor
who we are trying to link up with, the xml is self describing through a type
attribute (datetime, integer...):

<created-at type="datetime">2008-10-01T04:45:19Z</created-at>

    <description>1/8" UNION</description>
    <id type="integer">2</id>

If the "type" attribute is standard to RESTful responses, then I would have
thought that these REST frameworks would have figured out a way to cast xml
can obviously just grab elements out of the DOM, but having a seamless cast
between the REST xml and a pojo would have been a nice jump start.