We use regular old propane at Maker's Alliance. Works fine.
Any extra gets poured into muffin tins from Walmart for easy melting next
time.
We have used crucibles as a container for melting, but they break after a
few uses and if you don't watch the heat, they melt too.
Cast iron works okay - preferably old thick stuff. Not cheap Chinese
imports.
I've read about groups using waste oil and waste vegetable oil as a fuel
source. They recommend using a siphon nozzle:
http://www.amazon.com/Delavan-Siphon-Nozzle-30609-30609-9/dp/B00EO5IE3C
If you go that route you will need an adapter - Delavan 17147 or 17136 ,
some plumbing, and an air source.