I've recently run into a rather strange issue with the use of cfcontent (I
think). Here is a description of what is happening:

1. cfcontent is used to serve downloadable audio and video files that reside
outside of the webroot. This of course is for security reasons being that
the users have to purchase the files. A common technique I've used
successfully in the past.

2. The files being downloaded don't seem to always come through complete and
it's almost like the download is being cut off for some reason. Sometimes it
works, sometime it doesn't.

3. It almost seems like client connectivity issues and I was convinced of
that until it started happening to me when testing and now user's of the
site report the same thing including the "client" (not client machine but my
client).

4. I used Adobe connect this morning to share screens with my client this
morning so I see hands on the problem on their computer and saw something
else really strange. She was clicking to download the file, the file open in
Windows Media rather than a normal download (I assume this was set up as her
default player for mp3 files). I asked her to right click and choose "Save
Target As" to ensure she was actually downloading it and not streaming it.
This always works fine for me but when she does that, it then downloads the
.cfm file rather than the mp3 file (I can't reproduce that on my machine).
She is using Windows 2000 OS.

5. The site is hosted on a shared server at HostMySite.com. HMS support
seemed to think the server it was on maybe was low on cf resources and that
cfcontent was putting together  bad files for downloads. Again sometime the
downloads work fine, sometimes they don't. We moved the site to a different
server they said had plenty of CF resources. However, this did not solve the
problem and it continues to happen on the new server

I've now spent several days troubleshooting and am getting nowhere :(. If
someone has any insight as to why this might be happening, please share. I
think some discussions on the use of cfcontent for secure downloads is
probably a good topic for discussion anyway. Proper ways to successfully do
it?

Last but not least here is a code example from my app:

<cftry>
  <CFHEADER NAME="Content-Disposition" VALUE="inline;
filename=audio_#url.donorid#.mp3">
  <cfcontent file="#application.path_audio##url.donorid#.mp3"
type="application/unknown">
  <cfcatch>
file name may be missing from the server.  Please alert the website
administrator.</span>
   <cfabort>
  </cfcatch>
  </cftry>

Also one other thing. Is there a way to use cfcontent so that it forces an
audio or video file to actually download to a selected location. When user's
default media players are set up for mp3, it generally just opens the file
and starts playing. I want to somehow ensure that the file is fully
downloaded to a selected area (that the user selects) before they start
playing it and getting confused. In other words, a "normal download" file.
Hope that doesn't seem confusing.

I greatly look forward to discussing and/or hearing any feedback on the
issue.

Regards to everyone,

Dusty