You can always build a Flex (or Flash for that matter) application
that can be put in you page as a 1px by 1px (I'm not sure if 0 by 0
will work) that has nothing on the stage with wmode="transparent".
This application can now act as your portal between the browser via JS
using the External Interface (or fsCommand going back to Flash ~6).
Then your "invisible" Flex/Flash app can leverage all the connection
types available (AMF/SecureAMF, Webservice, HttpService etc...) in a
manner that is not easily accessible to any hacker (you can hide all
kinds of security checks within this app).

I've always wanted to do a bench mark of this type of app side by side
with standard Ajax, but the bottom line is that the only browser
specific code would be in how the returned data is applied to effect
the client content.