That seems a curious statement, Forrest, and I'm sure some  would enjoy a
bit of discussion on it. For those who weren't following closely, he had
asked first about some challenges using a CFX_google custom tag, and in the
replies he was told that it's  quite old and instead Google favors some Ajax
APIs instead. Forrest replies he hoped the "Ajax thing would just go away".

So, do you realize that Ajax is merely a way to make browsers smarter? It
enables them to make calls to remote servers. Sure, we could do that in the
past with Java applets, ActiveX controls, Flash, and even plain Javascript.
And we could of course do it from the server using either REST or SOAP apis.
Ajax is just a simplified API to enable that very javascript-based
client-server interaction. For those who need to talk to servers from
clients (either because they can't or don't want to involve a server to
proxy the communications for them), we don't want them to go back to Java
and ActiveX, do we? :-) And while we may wish everyone would use Flex, it's
just not likely. Many will, for the much larger problem space it solves, but
for the average web developer, it's not really as simple as dropping in some
AJAX API calls.

If Google (or other vendors) want to create a way for people to connect, and
they want to make it work regardless of what web app server platform people
use (and as well for those who have no server), and they provide an
Ajax-based API to what (I suppose are otherwise REST-based) services, that's
seems to be just being smart, widening the pool of possible users.

Look at it another way (for us CFers), they (like Amazon, Ebay, and others)
could instead just document calling from Java, ASP.NET, and PHP. They tend
to not go that one step further to include CF. At least by their offering a
platform-agnostic solution that doesn't require any server-side processing,
they've helped more than just those who have no server to make calls from.

Just some thoughts. I'm not fanatical about all this, and I may well myself
be missing a point. But since this is the ACFUG "discussion" list, that
comment seemed one worth discussing. :-)