From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Derrick Peavy
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 1:09 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Doing CF development on a MAC

Don't know about the license switch - if you can, that's freaking awesome!

In short, I see no draw back to developing on the mac for any language aside
from ASP (simply because you can't run and IIS/ASP server on your mac
natively). The mac even has Ruby, PHP, MySQL, Apache, Python, Perl  ready to
use out of the box. I believe the basic OS comes with developer tools as
well (X Code), though I might be wrong there.

I agree with the comments here and based on experience in helping other
switch - run it all on the native OS you are switching too. Makes the most
sense and trust me - the gain you get in productivity far outweighs any
costs.

Some app tips - best text editor hands down is BBEdit. If you actually know
the language you are coding in, you probably like a good text editor anyway.
What may throw you however, is that when you first launch it it looks like a
simple, plain blank document and you wonder, WTF? But the program, like the
Mac OS follows a philosophy of getting everything out of your way except for
the document. So, it's up to you to decide which palates you want to show on
a regular basis, etc.,

Best FTP - Transmit. Yes, it costs $30 (I think). But nothing on mac or
Windows can touch it.

Derrick Peavy

404-786-5036

Sales and Web Services

CollegeClassifieds.com

http://www.collegeclassifieds.com

A Service of Universal Advertising, inc.