Mischa,
Yes, but as you can see from Shawn's comment that Shawn was approaching the
topic from the point of authorization.  From the response by Troy, this
leads to authentication.

So, his usage of diction or use of the word is indeed correct, but not
everyone interpreted it that way as it still provided some confusion
regardless.

The solution may very well use both concepts to achieve his desired result.

A use that I have witnessed has to deal with Shawn's suggestion of putting
the files in a non-webroot accessible directory or network source.  Then a
controller mechanism would have to understand how to "serve once" either
through a mechanism of of being an authenticated user with an authorized
role of being able to see a document.  Or, the the site does not have
authentication and the mechanism must have a more introspective ability to
discern a user through their token, IP or whatever.  The public approach
would suggest a tracking process to see if a particular requestor has asked
for the document before or not.

This also brings up the question, how do you determine who has the
authorization to request a particular artifact multiple times?

This may be over complicating his initial scope of the application, but
these are questions that I would ask whenever someone would task me with a
File serving application on potentially limited released documents.

In any event, I was not criticizing Emile.  I was asking for more detail
before offering generic advice/guidance.

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com