The majority of the clients that I work for that I was a part of their
procurement process managed this through the business budgeting and support
as an up front line item.

Their budget for any new server was the hardware, hardware support, software
license cost for role of the server, and then software service support.
That was allocated up front for any new ventures.  The second part was
maintenance costs of preexisting infrastructure that needed renewals.

One of these said companies was a government contract firm.  They managed
support budget yearly based upon their existing and proposed infrastructure
that was earmarked money.

The budgetary meeting also led into their enterprise hardware/software
life-cycle ("sunsetting" vs. maintenance vs. new procurement).

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com