Jeff,
I just did a successful test.  I think I know your issue.  How are you
saving your file?

Are you using GetTempDirectory()?

Here is my quick and dirty test:

<cfset foo = createObject("component", "dataService") />

<cfset qry = foo.dataSearch("lastname","smith") />

<cfwddx action="cfml2wddx" input="#qry#" output="qryTest" />

<cfset filePath = "#expandPath(".")#\data.txt" />

<cffile action="write" file="#filePath#" output="#qryTest#" />

<cfset test = loadWDDXFile(filePath) />

<cfdump var="#test#">

The key here was I used expandPath(".") to save the file in the same
directory as my test application.  The read after that and the subsequent
value returned from the function came back as a query.

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com