On 07/04/2017 14:08, Dan Brown wrote:
I'm writing from a tablet, so apologies for any typos, brevity, etc., as well
as quoting everything below.  I don't recall any of the discussions (or if
there even were discussions) surrounding including dar in the SME base, though
I recall Darrell May being a proponent of that software.

fine

Before we get too deep in the weeds of which software package to implement,
it'd probably be best to define our requirements.  As I see it, dar is adequate
in terms of features:
* make full and incremental backups on an arbitrary schedule
* store backups on an arbitrary network share, requiring only SMB or NFS access
to the share
* chunk backups so they don't exceed filesystem size limits or media capacity
(e.g., if they were to be burned to CD/DVD)
* allow full or selective restore from any date's backup (kind of weak here,
only allows selected files,  not directories)

regarding features, no doubts on dar
the chunk feature, IMVHO, could be ignored, since the DVD are almost useless on backup side

The biggest problem that I see with dar, at least as it's now implemented, is
that it's too fragile. Any interruption borks your entire backup set, so you
have to toss it out and start over. That's just unacceptable. I don't know if
there are ways to make dar more robust in this regard, or if we'd need to go to
an alternative tool to do this.

I did not search about how to prevent/reduce the catalogue corruption.. it should be nice to be able to recreate it from a backup set from 0

  If we're changing backup tools, though, now is the time to do so--we can't be
breaking compatibility in a point release.

I agree

If we're going to look at changing tools, we should also consider harmonizing
the backup options. There's no good reason that the console backup should be
completely different from the web-based backup.

well, they are different 'cause they have different targets.. console backup is something you do on demand to restore on another fresh install, web-based one is aimed to create a full DR backup set but with the opportunity to make both a differential backup and a selective restore

on some servers of mine I use the console backup approach with a custom script and tar.. all must be done via CLI, but at least I have the full control on what's going on

S.