Paul M wrote:
Jan Hoevers wrote:
While not unwilling to donate to projects, this bounty thing is not for
me because of a strict open source policy.

you could always buy a support contract, which is entirely different
from buying proprietary software.

sorry, but I think your understanding of OSS is flawed. for the best
explanation...

http://www.gnu.org/

What is Free Software?
“Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech”, not as in “free
beer”

Ahh yes, the beer analogy. Drink up gents:-)

As in the book Animal Farm, one quickly learns that some pigs are more equal than others. A bounty system isn't a bad way for the community to respond with their own "my need is more equal" feature requests. Rather fair I'd say, and good feedback for the dev team (note: it's been very good idea in other projects with or without a corporate benefactor)

Afterall, Chris, Bill, Scott and others have bills to pay, and beer to buy for themselves after a hard day's work:-) Certainly a better cause than blowing $$ at Bestbuy:-)

Regards,
andy
p.s. nice work on 1.2. really solid, and handles [HD] VoD through verizon FIOS without a hitch.