It works, but performance is, in my experience, poor.  Don't use trunking
(802.3ad / LACP) and VLANs together, or inter-vlan routing slows down
drastically.  This appears to be a VMWare problem, not a pfSense problem.
I recommend creating one virtual Ethernet device per network, and in fact
mapping each virtual switch (or vlan) to a physical NIC on the host.
Basically, keep the networking as simple as possible, don't get fancy like
I did.
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net