As a note on cpu allocations for vnware vm's... this also applies to xen and
hyper-v

Example:

Vmhost: 2 quad core cpu's

vm1 8 vcpu's
vm2 1 vcpu's
vm3 1 vcpu
vm4 1 vcpu
vm5 1vcpu

say vm1 is running something like active directory.. or any single threaded
app. VMware will Que up all 8 vcpu's for vm1's cpu schedule. Once that's
done it will release the cpu scheduler for the other vm's.

This is kinda hard to explain, however the bottom like is try out assigning
no more that 1-2 cpu's per vm unless its needed. I use resource pools
heavily to contain my cpu usage its often times ok to have a vm that's using
80% of its spu usage. this takes some time to test anc configure to achive
optimal results. however you dont want to over provision your resources on
the cpu side too much otherwise you'll run into contention, and if you are
using vmware enterprise + with drs then you'll see vm's bounce from host to
host in your cluster.... again not necessarily a bad thing just something to
keep an eye on. I guess the answer is always it depends.