This started with 4.0, I have upgraded to 4.1 but haven't specifically
tested performance since.  Routing from one VLAN to another entirely
inside VMware is still slow, however.  AFAIK this is somehow related to
interrupt handling and/or mitigation.  The bad news is that since
upgrading to 4.1, the pfSense guest occasionally loses ALL network
interrupts for about 15 minutes at a time - this happens at least once or
twice a week.  It starts slowly, performance is merely degraded, then
nothing, then slowly returns to normal - whole event takes ~15min.

Traffic arriving at or leaving the VMWare HOST shows normal performance
levels, it's only traffic within the host that seems slow: SMB traffic
across the pfSense router, no NAT involved, one pass-all pf rule, runs
between 10Mbit/sec and 100Mbit/sec.  I also see lots of TCP badness if I
run a sniffer on either end - dup acks, dup pkts, and missing packets.

I also have a lot (~7Mbyte/sec) of multicast traffic on one of the VLANs,
which may contribute to the problem.

-Adam