On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 09:52:56AM -0600, Adam Thompson wrote:
> I'm not using that exact model, but I have two GS724Tv3 units in

I have two GS748TS (with a few 1G GBICs) in production, but for a
couple dead fans no hardware problems yet. I'm not using the more
advanced features, and I'm not driving them with a lot of traffic,
so I can't really say how buggy they are.

> production.  Hardware is decent - no dead ports so far (~10 months).  Mine
> are the "web smart" type without a serial port or CLI, so configuring
> VLANs is a royal pain in the ass.  Other than that, the software is
> acceptable without being great in any way.
> I have a good friend who resells that model (and the GS748 also) and he's
> got about 12 of them in production at various customer sites.  In ~3
> years, I think he's had to return 2 of them so far due to dead ports.  One
> dead port is a (lifetime) warranty problem.

Yeah, I figured even as a couple of L2 switches with 10G optical uplink
over about ~50 m of MMF should be acceptable. If they die, I'll RMA them.
The problem is that I can't find any reviews or even useful user experiences
with that model. That concerns me a bit.

> If you need to save money, Netgear seems to be OK.  But I'd still rather
> have a ProCurve.

I'd rather have a Juniper. If couldn't get that, a ProCurve. But it
seems I'm cursed with the Netgears. I'm loath to spend >5.5 kEUR on
what might turn out to be lemons, particularly with the security
and IPv6 feature set.