I've been a huge fan of Procurve for at least 8 years when I replaced some
Cisco and Bay Networks kit for the first gen Procurve gigabit kit in the
form of a 5304 chassis.

In the last couple of years I've been picking up the 2510G-48's which if you
shop around can find for around $1000, especially if you buy more than 5 as
there is a lot of margin on them.

But the big win that I just tried was picking one up off ebay which was
claimed to be dead for $200 (by the time it got to me it was $300 with
shipping, brokerage, etc). The CLI was still talking, so I flashed it with
the latest greatest and it ran about 1/4 of the ports and 10/100 but had
serious problems. I opened a ticket with Procurve, had to pay for the
shipping to send it to them, but they sent me a brand new one back
(different serial number and had that new switch smell).

Theoretically all Procurve stuff has a lifetime warranty, so its worth the
gamble I think. And the performance is much better than anything you are
ever going to see from a Netgear or the "consumer" level SMB junk.

I even know a couple of folks using Procurve switches as their iSCSI
switches for SAN's getting close to 120meg throughput on them across the
fabric!

Cheers,