I know this is no shock to Donald, but I agree with what he brings up
below. One of motivators for trying out python.zulipchat.com is to see if
it's real-time nature on top of topic-based discussion could act as a
cross-section for email and IRC.

For me, either something like Zulip or Discourse takes care of a lot of the
issues raised. They provide modern tooling, allow for a central place to
communicate, and allow for sectioning things into streams/sections to
prevent overwhelming e.g. a single mailing list.