On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 02:26, Chris Barker via Distutils-SIG
<distutils-sig@python.org> wrote:

> I'm updating some instructions for my students, in which the first thing I do
> is have them run ensurepip:
>
> $ python3 -m ensurepip --upgrade
>
> which resulted in:
>
> $  python3 -m ensurepip --upgrade
> Looking in links: /var/folders/ym/tj87fc850yd6526nbrn14rxm0000gn/T/tmpwc8nd6oj
> Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages
> (39.0.1)
> Requirement already up-to-date: pip in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages
> (10.0.1)
>
> (this is after a brand-new python 3.7 install on OS-X from python.org)
>
> All good. But then I use pip, and get (after a successful install):
>
> You are using pip version 10.0.1, however version 18.0 is available.
> You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
>
> Huh? shouldn't ensurepip have updated it for me already??

IIRC, ensurepip by design doesn't go to the internet , so it will only
ever upgrade to the version bundled with Python (from the docs "To
ensure the installed version of pip is *at least as recent as the one
bundled with ensurepip*, pass the --upgrade option" [emphasis mine]).
To get the latest available version, you should do `python -m pip
install --upgrade pip` (better than `pip install...` as it works on
Windows) as you mentioned.

Paul