On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 15:49, Jan Musílek <jan.musi...@nic.cz> wrote:

> Thank you all for very helpful comments!

Thank you for bringing this up.

> I've carefully considered everything you said and I'm now mostly convinced,
> that PEP 508 actually doesn't need to be expanded to include version
> specifiers. Sure, if it would, some workflows will continue to work more or
> less as they were. But it's not a good excuse to introduce something as hacky
> as going through tags in cloned git repository and trying to match them
> against some expected patterns.

Do you think you'd be able to summarise the conclusions from this
thread on the pip issue that prompted it? It would be nice if we could
record it over there for people who are following the tracker issue,
and an explanation from an "affected user" perspective may be more
helpful to others following the issue than a(nother) statement from
one of the pip devs.

Paul