It turned out that the second install was not the cause of the
timestamp change in the original.  On reviewing "history" it turned
out that I had accidentally run the link generation twice.  That
turned up this (for me) unexpected behavior:

mkdir /tmp/foo
ls -al /tmp/foo
total 16
drwxrwxr-x.   2 modules modules     6 Jun 24 16:49 .
drwxrwxrwt. 173 root    root    12288 Jun 24 16:49 ..
ln -s /tmp/foo /tmp/bar
ls -al /tmp/foo
drwxrwxr-x.   2 modules modules     6 Jun 24 16:49 .
drwxrwxrwt. 173 root    root    12288 Jun 24 16:49 ..
ln -s /tmp/foo /tmp/bar
ls -al /tmp/foo
total 16
drwxrwxr-x.   2 modules modules    17 Jun 24 16:51 .
drwxrwxrwt. 173 root    root    12288 Jun 24 16:50 ..
lrwxrwxrwx.   1 modules modules     8 Jun 24 16:51 foo -> /tmp/foo

The repeated soft link actually put a file under the target.  Strange.
Apparently it is expected behavior.  The problem can be avoided by
using this form:

 ln -sn $TARGET $LINK

The later installs are much faster than the first one, since putting
in the links is very fast and building the packages is not.  This was
the trivial case though, since having done one install all the
prerequisites were just "there".  The johnnydep package will list the
dependencies without doing the install.  Guess I will throw something
together based on that and the above results and see how it goes.

Regards,

David Mathog